Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Salutations!


Hello all! Welcome to my humble little blog. I am new to this new set up here and I seem to be a little behind the times for the new technology. I hope to catch up once I play around a bit. Anyhow, I am starting this blog to both explore new books as well as to return to my old favorites that made me fall in love with Literature. So, I welcome you to join in a discussion or merely just to share in my love for reading by listening.

I would like to start with a book that most people probably know. For my first entry I will begin with a classic which can be noted as one of the most iconic time pieces of the 1920s era. In honor of the upcoming film that will be adapted from this book, I thought it would be neat to revisit it after letting it sit on the shelves for so long (for shame!). So without further ado the first book I will be reading will be The Great Gatsby.


A little background for this novel for those who may not have read it or even heard of it. This was written by American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940). Fitzgerald is from Minnesota and was married to Zelda Sayre.  The book was first published in 1925 during some of the most tumultuous times of his marriage (Zelda was a handful). What I find so fundamentally interesting about the book is although it may be fiction, there are elements that mirror the issues that erupted in the 1920s, prohibition, gangsters, and women were trading in their traditional roles for bobbed hair, fringed dresses,  and a flask hidden in their guarders. Everything was on the brink of change and this was a time for people to break away from the oppressiveness of their former models of living. Gotta love The Roaring Twenties!  All of these little topics are rolled up into one little time capsule of 174 pages just for our enjoyment. What amazes me most is that this novel gained its success almost entirely posthumously. Go figure.

Anyhow, looking forward to discussing it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment