Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Love Poem #4 Love's Philosophy by Percy Bysshe Shelley

 I hope you all are getting in the spirit of the upcoming holiday...you know the one. The holiday where lovers walk hand in hand sharing their chocolate ice cream cone. The one in which you gaze deep into each others eyes and say "I love you." That's right folks, Arizona statehood day is upon us and it is three days away!! I for one will be strapping on my cowboy boots and heading down to the saloon to celebrate the birth of my home state. As for all the other stuff happening that day here is for the hopeless romantics with an unrequited love. Poem number 4 is by Percy Shelley, husband to the author of Frankenstein, Mary Shelley. This guy was a rock star during his time. He and Mary were quite the power couple for that era. I highly recommend reading both authors, they are both quite good. Anyhow, poem #4, enjoy.
 
Okay, I know I was going to post love poems without all the turmoil but really this is sort of an anti-love poem. To me, this poem is about a man trying to make sense of the world. He seems to love a girl who doesn't return his affections. He sees everything as a pair ie. the river and the ocean, moonbeams and the sea. He does not seem to understand what it all is worth if he can't be paired with the one he ardores.
Love's Philosophy - Percy Shelley
The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean,
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle -
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?
More to come...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment