Monday, February 4, 2013

Music Monday #1: Electronic...UH?

Howdy there and welcome to my first Music Monday and I will be your host AJ Riley but I suppose you know that already. I chose to start off this segment with a music genre that I am not too familiar with but have thoroughly enjoyed this past week. Some may call it trip hop and some call it electronica but whatever you may call it there is an underlining feel to this music that simply can not be labeled. So call it what you will but I call it damn good music. 

I am absolutely in love with this genre and I was unaware of how vast it is! It has a very urban New York City kind of feel and some artists mix in hip hop. I was never a huge hip hop fan after the 90s but this genre has a dark, almost menacing jazzy feel to it mixed in with a little bit of an electronic vibe going on which appeals to me. Plus, the lyrics are kick ass. Here are my top 5 favorites (in no particular order) that I have been diving into this week.

#1 Wax Tailor: How I Feel. His real name is Jean-Christophe Le SaoĆ»t and he is a French artist. I would like to share with you my favorite song by him but I suggest you go out and pick up this album, or at least this song, because it is outstanding.



This song is taken from Wax Tailor's 2005 album Tales of the Forgotten Melodies. This was by far my most favorite song off the album. This song in particular features a cover of the song How I Feel (Originally by sung   by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusee) sung by Nina Simone. To quote TMos (ahem Himym fans) Nina has a hauntingly beautiful voice and Wax Tailor highlights her almost caramel-esque sound with an electronic tone. He does not take away from the song, he simply makes it his own while respecting the integrity of what was already great. I also like that he mixes in soundbites from old classic movies. This is something I personally have never heard before but glad to have the opportunity now.

2# Bonobo: Stay the Same. This song was by DJ Bonobo (real name Simon Green). I am not new to Bonobo, I think I stumbled upon Black Sands last year but after hundreds of times playing this song it has yet to lose its appeal.

 
 
I will tell you why I love this song so much...it features Andreya Triana, a British singer/song writer. The melody in the background is also beautiful but when she steps in the song becomes sultry. I am in love with the lyrics, I love the saxophone, and as a whole this song makes me think of a rainy day in the city. Andreya also sounds like a young less polished Sade.

#3 The Submarines: 1940. While I tend to migrate my taste in music to European artists The Submarines hold their own. This band sprang up from LA in 2006.


The vocals are done by Blake Hazard, the alleged great grand-daughter of F. Scott Fitzgerald. If that is true, then she has my heart on family bloodline alone. Anyhow, I thought she was a nice contrast to the female singers featured in the previously mentioned songs. Her voice lacks the deep and sultry tones we heard but she has a classic old-time style that you would hear from Ruth Etting in the 1920s. Actually, this band has so many eras mashed into one I am surprised it works so well!


#4 Little Dragon: Twice. This song is...absolutely heartbreaking. Little Dragon is a Swedish group with lead singer Yukimi Nagano.


This song in particular is off their 2007 self titled album. I love it just because of how heartbreaking it was. The simple two note piano accompaniment is genius. I think John Williams proved with the Jaws theme song that the simplicity of two notes can create a villain...a dark tone that just sticks in our minds evoking a feeling of fear. Two notes accompanied with Yukimi on vocals...perfect. Not much to say about that.

#5 Lykke Li: I'm Good I'm Gone.  Lykke Li is a Sweedish singer/songwriter.


Although I know her voice is not one of the most accomplished I have heard but it is unique. I love her accent especially since often they are not pronounced with singers. The style of the song and her voice is reminiscent of a different era much like Blake Hazard does. I love this song!

Well I hope you enjoyed my first Music Monday. More to come! A+

No comments:

Post a Comment