Monday, November 12, 2012

Fun Facts: William S. Burroughs

Happy Monday from the BOOKWORMportal! Things have been a bit slow on my reading front, I have had many new endeavors in the past 2 weeks and am hoping to have a more calm and quite time for the upcoming holiday. I thought I would get a few fun facts in until then about Mr. Burroughs...he was a very interesting/strange man!




1. He was born in St. Louis Missouri and was a gay American author associated with the beat generation. I have mentioned the beat generation in my previous post but if you are curious about what it is go here and this is a good summary of how it started and who were the main people in this circle back in the 60s.

2. RANDOM!! He brought his own severed finger to his psychiatrist because he claimed it was an initiation to the Crow Indian tribe. This later inspired him to write a book called The Finger.

3. Burroughs was married (common-law marriage) to a Joan Vollmer and eventually was arrested for allegedly shooting her in the head. He never did time for this because it was ruled an "accident".

There are many many more facts that I could put on here, the man had a very interesting life being friends with Jack Kerouac. He is regarded as one of the best authors of the 20th century. I am surprised that it has taken me this long to get around to picking up on of his novels. I hope to have something posted by next week about it, I hope you all have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment