Monday, October 1, 2012


So I spent the weekend trying to figure out what I would read this week and I finally came to a decision. There are so many novels that I would love to revisit and eventually I will but this week I would like to read something new. In undergrad I studied English Literature and I had this crazy but brilliant professor who somehow managed to remember nearly everything in every book he has read since the 60s...I can only hope to be like this one day. Anyhow, he would always mention certain books that we should read but those who have studied English know how arduous it can be to fit in reading anything else besides school work. I plan on tackling the list I have accumulated per his recommendation during the several years I have known him.  My second book I will review will be Bright Lights Big City by Jay McInerney.
 
  
 
This novel was first published in 1984 and takes place in New York City. It follows the protagonist through his double life between being a fact-checker at a magazine and a local participant in illicit activities one would do in the 80s. From what I have read about this novel it is written in second person and our main character will remain unnamed which has a Palahniuk Fight Club feel to it which I enjoyed immensely. Dr. D has never led me astray when it involves anything pertaining to literature or history so I am sure this will be a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment